The Education of Lifeguards in the African Continent is following the criteria set up by the African Lifesaving Academy. These criteria are in full compliance with the ILS Education standards.
The National Lifesaving Federation (NLF) has the mission to manage drowning prevention, water safety, water rescue, lifesaving, lifeguarding and lifesaving sport in its nation. It has the right, amongst others :
- To organise local, national and international lifesaving competitions in the pool, beach and ocean.
- To undertake actions related to drowning prevention and increasing the awareness of drowning in the country.
- To participate in international lifesaving competitions at zonal, continental and world level.
- To organise Pool, Open Water and Beach Lifeguard courses in order to provide the students with International Lifeguard Certificates.
- To organise Pool, Open Water and Beach Instructors courses in order to provide students with International Instructors Certificates.
- To organise courses for the Education of Coaches and Trainers in Lifesaving in order to provide the students with National and International Coaching Certificates.
- To organise courses for the education of Technical Officials, Referees and Judges in Lifesaving in order to provide the students with National and International Lifeguard Certificates.
- To organise courses in First Aid, AED (Automatic External Defibrilation), Rescue and Resuscitation and to issue National and International Lifesaving Certificates in the nation.
NATIONAL LIFESAVING FEDERATIONS THAT COMPLY WITH THE CRITERIA OF THE AFRICAN LIFESAVING ACADEMY
The following National Lifesaving Federations have agreed to follow the education standards set by the African Lifesaving Academy in their education of Lifeguards:
- Algeria: Fédération Algérienne de Sauvetage, de Secourisme et des Activités Subaquatiques (FASSAS) – Algerian Federation for Lifesaving, First Aid and Underwater Activities.
- Burkina Faso: Lifesaving Federation of Burkina Faso.
- Cameroon: Fédération Camerounaise de Natation et de Sauvetage – Cameroon Swimming and Lifesaving Federation.
- Central African Republic: Fédération Centrafricaine de Sauvetage et de Secourisme (FCSS) – Central African Lifesaving and Rescue Federation.
- Chad: Lifesaving Federation of Chad.
- Djibouti: Fédération Djiboutienne de Sport Subaquatique et de Sauvetage – Djibouti Sub-Aquatic and Lifesaving Federation.
- Egypt: Egyptian Diving and Lifesaving Federation (EDLF).
- Gambia: Gambia Swimming & Aquatic Sport Association (GSASA).
- Ghana: Ghana Lifesaving and Diving Association (GHALDA).
- Guinea Bissao: Associaçao de Salvamento Aquatico da Guiné-Bissau (ASAGB) – Guinea Bissau Water Rescue Association (ASAGB).
- Kenya: Kenia Lifesaving Federation (KLF).
- Libya: Lifesaving Federation of Libya.
- Mali: Lifesaving Federation of Mali.
- Mauritania: Mauritania Diving and Lifesaving Organisation.
- Morocco: Royal Moroccan Lifesaving Federation – Fédération Royale Marocaine de Sauvetage (FRMS).
- Niger: Fédération Nigérienne de Sauvetage et de Secourisme (FNSS) Federation of Lifesaving and Rescue of the Republic of Niger.
- Rwanda: Fédération Rwandaise de Sauvetage (FRS) – Rwanda Lifesaving Federation.
- Senegal: Fédération Sénégalaise de Natation et de Sauvetage (FSNS).
- Somalia: Somali Lifeguarding Association.
- Sudan:Sudanese Sea Scouts (SSS).
- Tanzania: Tanzania Life Saving Society (TALISS).
- Togo: Association Togolaise de Sauvetage et de Secourisme (ATSS° – Togo Lifesaving and Rescue Federation.
- Tunisia: Fédération Tunisienne des Activités Subaquatiques et de Sauvetage Aquatique – Tunisian Federation of Underwater Activities and Aquatic Lifesaving.
- Uganda:Uganda Lifesaving Federation.
The National Lifesaving Federations can organise the following types of lifeguard courses:
- International Pool Lifeguard Course.
- International Open Water Lifeguard Course.
- International Beach Lifeguard Course.
- International Pool Lifeguard Instructor Course.
- International Open Water Instructor Course.
- International Beach Lifeguard Instructor Course.
International Instructors can not only teach Lifeguard courses, they can also teach first aid, resuscitation, oxygen application and AED courses.
Follow the link below to discover the criteria for the lifeguard courses:
Follow the link below to discover the criteria for the lifeguard instructor courses:
SPORT RELATED COURSES
Coaching and Training courses
- Trainer Level C: Club Trainer.
- Trainer Level B: Regional and National Trainer.
- Trainer Level A: International Trainer.
Officials and Referee courses
- Technical Official Level C: Club Official.
- Technical Official Level B: Regional and National Official.
- Technical Official Level A: International Official.
For educational assistance, please read the below policy and return the form to the ILS Headquarters at: firstname.lastname@example.org