The African Members of the International Life Saving Federation (ILS) have founded an ILS-Africa Regional Branch of the ILS with the purpose of achieving closer relationship and collaboration in aquatic life saving activities in the Region of Africa. The Regional Branch is named the ILS-Africa Lifesaving Confederation. The Confederation is an entire part of the International Life Saving Federation.
The headquarters of the African Confederation are located in Rabat, Morocco.
The ILS-Africa Lifesaving Confederation is an incorporated voluntary not for profit organisation with an indefinite duration.
ILS-AFRICA GENERAL ASSEMBLY
The Member Organisations of the ILS-Africa Branch are listed on the web site of the ILS on: www.ilsf.org
The ILS-Africa Confederation is divided into several working zones as follows:
- The North Zone comprises the following 9 countries: Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Egypt, Mali, Niger, Chad, Sudan and South Sudan.
- The East Zone comprises the following 10 countries: Eritrea, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Somalia, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania and Seychelles.
- The West Zone comprises the following 12 countries: Mauritania, Morocco, Senegal, Gambia, Guinea Bissau, Guinea Conakry, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Cote d’Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde and Sao Tome & Principe.
- The Central Zone comprises the following 10 countries: Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Congo–Brazzaville, Congo–Kinshasa, Ghana, Togo, Benin, Nigeria and Central African Republic.
- The South Zone and Indian Ocean Islands comprises the following 13 countries: South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zambia, Malawi, Mauritius, Madagascar and Comoros.
ILS-AFRICA BOARD OF DIRECTORS
The composition of the 2016-2020 Board of Directors is:
- ILS-Africa President : Dr. Mohamed Saleh MD, PhD (Egypt) (**), also responsible for the North Zone.
- ILS-Africa Vice-President for the East Zone: Mr. Job Kania (Kenya) (**)
- ILS-Africa Vice-President of the West Zone: Dr. Mohammed Ali Gharbal PhD (Morocco) (**)
- ILS-Africa Vice-President of the Central Zone: Mr. Thierry Vackat (Central African Republic) (**)
- ILS-Africa Vice-President of the South Zone and Indian Ocean Islands: Mr. Dylan Tommy (South Africa)
- ILS-Africa Secretary General: Dr. Mohamed Mjahed PhD (Morocco)
- ILS-Africa Board Member: Colonel (ret) Abdelkader Chekroun (Algeria) (**)
- ILS-Africa Board Member: Helen Herbert (South Africa) (**)
- ILS-Africa Board Member: Captain Sameh El-Shazly (Egypt)
(**) These persons represent ILS-Africa in the ILS Board of Directors for the 2016-2020 period.